Friday, July 20, 2007

Born On The Fourth Of July

previously published in Ponderings

The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays and one of my least favorites. The reason for this celebratory schizophrenia can be summed up in two words “Holiday Birthday!” (the exclamation point doesn’t count as a word). You see, my own birthday is on July 4th, the day we celebrate not only the signing of the Declaration of Independence, but we also celebrate that I am now, officially, one year older. Oh, it didn’t used to bother me. When you’re a kid it’s pretty cool. Big party, picnics, carnivals, parades, fireworks. All just for you, or so you think. After 5 years old, it becomes pretty obvious that the party is not all for you, but it’s still fun, you’re older and more “grown up” and you still get presents. I guess I would rather have the July 4th holiday for my birthday than say, Christmas. My brothers birthday is in December, so I think he always felt that Mom and Dad saved the ”good stuff” for Christmas, so even being close to Christmas is dangerous. The “up” side of a holiday birthday once you’re out in the working world, is that for most professions, you almost always have your birthday off from work. And it is unlikely to snow on my birthday, another plus. And I still get presents. And my kids like the celebration. And my wife likes the celebration (her birthday is on the traditional Labor Day, hardly the same). So I guess it’s not so bad after all, except maybe the getting older and more “grown up” part. Could have been Arbor Day, or Flag Day, or Valentines Day. So, I guess I’ll take what I have and be thankful for it. All of you have a pleasant July 4th Holiday. Light a few sparklers in celebration of our country's birthday and remember that one of them is always for me, no matter what my brother says.

No comments: