Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Pizza of the Gods

I like pizza. My wife likes pizza. My daughter likes pizza. My son adores pizza. For him, pizza is a staple food. His food pyramid is basically pizza, followed by cheese, followed by pepperoni, followed by bread. This he washes down with plenty of ice chai tea lattes. So you could say that we are a pizza family and my son is a pizza gourmand and caffeine freak. A few weeks ago we went to an Italian restaurant (soft "i", no "eye"talians here) that my wife and I used to frequent pre-children and that my son had never been to. He loved their pizza. Thin crust, plenty of cheese, generous pepperoni; he was in heaven. So, when it came time to order pizza for a get-together at our house this week, we all immediately thought of the new place. (Luigi's for those of you in the Flint MI area). I called in the order and asked for three large pizzas and then I called my friend who was coming over to visit and asked if he could pick them up on his way over and I would pay him back when he arrived. No problem he assured me. So that was how it went. A little while later he and others showed up, he had the pizzas and everything was going as planned. I thought the pizza boxes looked a little large, but really paid no attention. "How much do I owe you?" I asked. He gave me the receipt and I couldn't believe my eyes. $64? Wow! That was some expensive pizza. Then I turned around and really looked at the boxes. They were huge. I'm thinking pizzas the size of car tires. I opened the box and the pizzas were square. They filled the entire box. They covered my entire dining room table, with the extensions pulled out. Needless to say we all got a good laugh out of this, and we had enough pizza to send some home with everyone. And my son has enough pepperoni pizza to last him at least a day or two. Next time mediums. I hope those are only merely huge. Bon apetit!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Hmm...I think their Smalls are enough for two. Two extemely hungry people.